Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Saturday, November 30, 2013

14 Cool Weather Vegetables You Can Grow & A Cup Growing Method for Greens: Spring is Coming!

14 Cool Weather Vegetables You Can Grow & A Cup Growing Method for Greens: Spring is Coming!


There are a lot of vegetables that prefer cool weather. That is, nights in the upper 40's and 50's and days in the 60's and 70's. Cool weather vegetables often can take a frost or a freeze. Their leaf structures are different in that ice crystals don't burst the structure of their cells.  Many times cool weather vegetables can be planted in the spring and fall. In this case I am growing them in a greenhouse well past the time they would do well in my earth beds.

Picked from the Video:  A Greenhouse Salad - Pilarchik

Some cool weather vegetables are; spinach, lettuce, onions, endive, arugula, beets, peas, kale, cabbages, garlic and lots of herbs. Cilantro is a great cool weather herb.




I grow a lot of my greens in cups or small recycled containers. The cups in the video sit on a tray I bought  on sale and I fill that tray with water and nutrients. Lettuces are mostly water. As long a you keep them watered and fed they can do nicely in container systems like this. Just cut the leaves off and the roots will grow new leaves for you as a second harvest.

Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment