Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

How to Collect Seeds and Dry Cayenne Peppers: Winter Flakes!

How to Collect Seeds and Dry Cayenne Peppers: 
Winter Flakes!

Collecting seeds is easy and you can save money. The 'Cayenne' pepper is ready for seed collecting when it turns red and the flesh of the pepper is soft to the touch. You can squeeze it and feel the seeds. Green cayennes have a hard flesh. Let them mature and turn red as will the seeds. All you have to do is take the seeds out and let them dry for about a week on a plate. Store them in a cool dark place and you will have plenty of seeds for next year.




Cayenne peppers are best dried when red. They are actually sweeter. The video shows you the entire drying process. The key to drying this pepper is not to dry it above about 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Any hotter and the oil evaporates out. That is heat and flavor. You also run the risk of burning the pepper which gives your crushed red pepper a bitter taste. Try it... and you will have pepper flakes for winter!

Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment