Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Setting Up a Spring Garden Greenhouse: Set-up, Securing, and Passive Heat Sources

Setting Up a Spring Garden Greenhouse: 
Set-up, Securing, and Passive Heat Sources

This is my new model greenhouse that is made by Stafford. It is a collapsible greenhouse that retails for about $170. I got mine on sale for $130. It is my second collapsible greenhouse. With the first one, I tried to do some fall and winter gardening in it.  While I got lots of greens, it was destroyed by the wind, the plastic tore, the seams tore and the zipper broke. While it was bigger than this model.... don't by the large size Village Green greenhouse. It is made cheaply.

A collapsible greenhouse, now that I have some experience is best used in the spring for about a 60 day period. Enough time to start seedlings, mature transplants and harden off any indoor vegetables you may have started. I don't recommend them for the fall. They aren't really meant to be outside for more than 2-3 months at a time.  I am in Maryland Zone 7. The late December, January and early February temperatures and weather are too brutal for collapsible greenhouses.




What is the difference between spring and fall... spring is a winning battle. The temperature and day light hours are on the rise. In the fall you are in a losing battle to cold and shorter days.

This model was very easy to put together. It is a better quality plastic. The seams are better stitched, the zipper is stronger and the plastic shell is supported by a tent like fabric. Inside the frame is not built with insert Tube A into Corner Joint B. It actually has a solid single piece frame that rises and collapses.  There are extra internal places to secure the plastic shell to the frame. A huge benefit!

The most important thing you can do for a collapsible greenhouse is to secure it to the ground, or deck in my case. The greenhouse plastic shell will act like a parachute to wind and it can be flipped with winds that get over 25 miles per hour. The second video talks about ways to secure greenhouses and some basic passive heat sources that double as weights.




Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment