Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Monday, December 2, 2013

How to Make Your Own Seed Starting Mix and Potting Mix: Save 75%!

How to Make Your Own Seed Starting Mix 
& Potting Mix: Save 75%

You can save a lot money off the cost of the pre-made starting mixes and potting mixes. An 8 quart bag of seed starting mix will cost about $4-$5 in the stores. You can make the same size bag (8 quarts)  for about $1.50. The main ingredients in starting mixes are typically peat moss, perlite and vermiculite. You need peat moss and either one of the second ingredients. You can use all three if you want.

They key is to buy the materials in bulk and save yourself the money. A 3 foot cubic bag or 85 liters of peat moss only costs $10-$15 depending where you live. It comes dry and pressed. The generally ratio I use is 5 parts peat moss and 1 part perlite. You can use more or less depending on how creative you want to be. Perlite and vermiculite can be found on-line in bulk. Add in some organic fertilizer and you just made a great seed starting mix and saved yourself a lot of money.



Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment