Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

How to Use Peat Moss/Organic Matter in Your Raised Bed: Retains Water!

How to Use Peat Moss/Organic Matter 
in Your Raised Bed: Retains Water!

Peat moss is not compost. If you can make your own compost or have access to it within your budget then I would use compost over peat moss. However, it is not always available. Or often you run out of your own stuff. Peat moss is a good option. It does come dry so you want to moisten it before you use it. The video will explain the process.




Peat moss is a great source of organic matter. I does not add nutrients to your soil but it does add organic matter for creating better soil. There is no nitrogen, phosphorous or potassium in it. I use peat moss to soften/loosen my clay soil. Peat moss really retains water and that will help maintain the structure of your soil and help your plants out. When growing root crops like radishes or carrots, you want a loose soil so the roots form uniformly.

Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment