Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Monday, November 11, 2013

What is that Powdery Stuff on My Plant Leaves?: Powdery Mildew!

What is that Powdery Stuff on My Plant Leaves?: 
Powdery Mildew!

It is important to know what ailments can show up in your vegetable garden. If you have a lot of humidity in your area, very often mildews show up on your plants. While mildews can affect most vegetable plants, it is often the squash, zucchini, cucumber, pumpkin and large leaf plants that most easily get the mildews.




Powdery mildew is very common in my garden zone, Maryland Zone 7.  I get it every year and have learned to spray preventatively and regularly to either beat it or slow it down. It starts out as little white dots on the underside and topside of leaves. You have to make sure you spray the tops and bottoms of leaves to effectively control it.

If left to progress the entire surfaces of the leaves will look like they are covered in a fine white powder and that is how it gets its name of 'Powdery Mildew.'  The leaves will brown out and die off quickly if not treated. This video will show you how to identify powdery mildew in your garden.

Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment