Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Friday, November 15, 2013

How to Collect Cilantro, Leek and Dill Seeds: Save Money!

How to Collect Cilantro, Leek and Dill Seeds: Save Money!


Collecting seeds from many garden plants is quite easy. Its just a matter of letting them go through their life cycle in the garden.

Cilantro, leek and dill form pretty large flower/seed heads with good size seeds. All you have to do is let the herb or vegetable plants fully flower and naturally dry out in the garden. You can clip the dried flower heads, which at this point have formed seeds, and just shake them or gently roll the dried flower inside a brown bag. This is a great way to collect seeds and save money!

You will get more than enough leek seeds for next year by letting just one plant fully flower and dry out in the garden. Leeks produce one flower cluster that is packed with seeds.




Cilantro and dill plants produce and abundance of flowers that will form medium sized seeds if left to mature and dry in their planting beds. The flowers from these herbs also attract a lot of beneficial insects to gardens. I grow them for culinary use and plant them throughout the garden for the flowers and seeds. They will grow just about anywhere.






Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment