Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Time to Seed Start Some Herbs Indoors: Oregano, Thyme and Chives Can Be Started in the Winter

Time to Seed Start Some Herbs Indoors: 
Oregano, Thyme and Chives Can Be Started in the Winter

I am excited for the start of the 2014 gardening season. You can grow many things under grow-lights. I have a video that shows you how to make a grow-light box and lots of videos on starting and growing seeds indoors. Every year, I always make new gardening videos that follow what I do in the garden and I typically start seed sowing in January.




Oregano and thyme are two herbs I always start in January. They are very similar in germination time and growth. They can take 2-3 weeks to germinate and establish and another 6-8 weeks to get to size. The great thing about them is how hardy the are. You can over seed the planting cells, tear the root-ball in half at time of transplant and end up with two great oregano or thyme transplants.  The key for them is a lot of light and you have to let them dry out between waterings. They do not like to stay wet. Here are some pictures from last year.





Over the next week I will be doing videos to show you how to start oregano, thyme and chives indoors. The pictures are what I hope to help you achieve in 2014. Comings soon...



Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment