Fresh From The Garden...

Welcome to my new blog... My First Vegetable Garden. It is dedicated to new gardeners and I plan to blog about and video the entire 2014 gardening season.

I will cover and teach you about every aspect of home gardening that you can think of! Please follow my blog as it will take you from starting your own seeds to harvesting 2 pound heirloom tomatoes and more! Learn how to grow the vegetables on your right...

Search my TWO blogs by entering key garden words...

Starting Mixes, Seed Cells and Seed Starting Set Up

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Assembling a Collapsible Vegetable Grow-Light Station: My 1st Vegetable Garden

Assembling a Collapsible Vegetable Grow-Light Station

I have been talking about starting seeds indoors and thought I should include something on lighting.  Here is one design for a collapsible grow-light station. You can start seeds with it and maintain larger vegetable transplants. This is not the construction video but I do provide the link for the complete build, including cost for parts, in the video.





The benefits of a grow-light station are:

  • You can save a lot of money and grow vegetables, including cost of energy, for .05 -.25 cents a plants. This cost goes down over time as you use the light and supplies over the years. This beats the 2, 3 or 4 dollars a transplant you would pay buying them at a store.
  • You can start varieties of tomatoes and peppers you can't buy at stores. Seed catalogs are now your options for plants instead of picking only what is at the stores.
  • You can grow perennial and annual flowers and get them to size for blooming that season and again the cost is significantly cheaper.
  • It gives you something to do during the winter and early spring before the garden is ready. It adds to your pleasure found in gardening.
  • You can start mid season crops indoors as the outdoor garden finishes up with the ground planted crops. You can save weeks of time by putting in transplants instead of seeds into your mid and late season garden beds and containers.




Visit my YouTube Site dedicated to New Gardeners:
My First Vegetable Garden

Join a Community of World Gardeners at
My Google+ Community - My First Vegetable Garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment